Re: Welcome back! [September 2014 reboot]

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:05 am

=D> =D> =D>

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:05 am

Thanks again for repairing everything Ichny. If it weren't for your work DC would have been history months ago.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:19 am

Well, wow. Thanks for your hard work, Ichy! :)

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:39 pm

If I had to guess what happened, I'd say the MySql server fumbled something while adding a post, broke the table, then tried to do an auto-repair, which soon failed for lack of sufficient disk space for the repair, then kept retrying (thus all the 100% CPU usage until I rebooted.

I appreciate the detailed explanations of what was going on "under the hood."

If auto-repair causes large chunks of disk space to get used, would it not behoove us to simply go to a larger HD so that we don't end up back in the same situation again? It sounds like what you did is a good temp solution, but as things get filled up over time, another auto-repair may push it over the edge again.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Elmo Zoneball wrote:
If I had to guess what happened, I'd say the MySql server fumbled something while adding a post, broke the table, then tried to do an auto-repair, which soon failed for lack of sufficient disk space for the repair, then kept retrying (thus all the 100% CPU usage until I rebooted.

I appreciate the detailed explanations of what was going on "under the hood."

If auto-repair causes large chunks of disk space to get used, would it not behoove us to simply go to a larger HD so that we don't end up back in the same situation again? It sounds like what you did is a good temp solution, but as things get filled up over time, another auto-repair may push it over the edge again.

We're pretty good now.

The "data" disk (the one now containing the file attachments) has enough space for us to hold 50% more files. We've been accumulating those attachments since late 2007, so we've got at least another 3-4 years worth of new attachments before we start getting full on that one, and now that I know how it's really easy for me to gen a larger volume and move everything over to it (then decommission the 6GB one I made yesterday) any time we need to grow that one.

The "system" disk, now that I've moved the attachments off of it, currently has enough free space to grow the posts file another 20% before it starts pushing the size that can't be rebuilt in the available space left, which means about another 1.5 years at our average posting rate (more, since we have lower activity now than at our old busier average).

And that's if I don't grub around on the system disk and clean up whatever can be cleaned up. I suspect there's a bunch that could be dropped to free even more space, or moved over to the data disk.

Maybe dread could have a look, he knows more about Linux maintenance than I do.

In any case, we're solid for at least another couple of years, which gives me plenty of time to figure out how to grow an AWS system disk safely without losing its contents.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Ichneumon wrote:And that's if I don't grub around on the system disk and clean up whatever can be cleaned up. I suspect there's a bunch that could be dropped to free even more space, or moved over to the data disk.

Oh look, just now I found 785MB that could be dumped (old backups saved to the server instead of downloaded, from Sep/Nov of last year)...

Now we're down to just 46% used on the system disk, which means we can have at least three more years of posts without running short on space to do table repairs.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Ichneumon wrote:
Ichneumon wrote:And that's if I don't grub around on the system disk and clean up whatever can be cleaned up. I suspect there's a bunch that could be dropped to free even more space, or moved over to the data disk.

Oh look, just now I found 785MB that could be dumped (old backups saved to the server instead of downloaded, from Sep/Nov of last year)...

Now we're down to just 46% used on the system disk, which means we can have at least three more years of posts without running short on space to do table repairs.
great and good, but what exactly caused the accursed activity spike? For the lettered agencies there is nothing here [besides, they would work cleaner, in all probability], so it must be somebody else.

Sat May 09, 2015 3:20 pm

May 9, 14:15 CDT [could have started a bit earlier]: "the board is currently unavailable, try again in a few minutes". Now, @14:20, it appears to have cleared, heaven only knows for how long.

Sat May 09, 2015 7:54 pm

GSlob wrote:May 9, 14:15 CDT [could have started a bit earlier]: "the board is currently unavailable, try again in a few minutes". Now, @14:20, it appears to have cleared, heaven only knows for how long.

Here's the CPU load from the past 24 hours, other than the one spike (which I presume coincides with when you had your issue), it seems to be going smoothly. I'm not sure what the momentary spike might have been.
CPU_May9.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 09, 2015 8:23 pm

So: where do these spikes come from? Is it possible to block off the sources?

Sat May 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Ichneumon wrote:
GSlob wrote:May 9, 14:15 CDT [could have started a bit earlier]: "the board is currently unavailable, try again in a few minutes". Now, @14:20, it appears to have cleared, heaven only knows for how long.

Here's the CPU load from the past 24 hours, other than the one spike (which I presume coincides with when you had your issue), it seems to be going smoothly. I'm not sure what the momentary spike might have been.
CPU_May9.JPG

Sorry, that was me ... :P

Sun May 31, 2015 2:08 am

Did something happen to the site for a while?

Sun May 31, 2015 2:45 am

RaccoonRevolution wrote:Did something happen to the site for a while?

Yes, Welcome back! Good to see you again.

The place we had been hosting the forum went down (reclaimed by creditors apparently) in about mid-July of last year:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=74596

We waited a few weeks for the Senator to host it somewhere else, then found that due to personal issues he didn't have the time to, then it took a few more weeks for me to figure out how to bootstrap a phpBB server somewhere else (I hadn't done that before). We were back on the air in mid-September, but at a weird URL until I finally worked out how to get the original domain name attached to it (on January 2).

So to anyone who just tried to visit forum.darwincentral.org, it looked like we were dead for almost half a year, but it was only about two months (felt longer).

Sun May 31, 2015 9:39 am

That coincided with my stroke in early July. I was off the web until September-October and that was just about the time that DC got back on. At first I had thought that some of my memory had been wiped by the stroke and couldn;t remember how to get on, nut everything was and is fine.

Sun May 31, 2015 9:42 am

Wacka wrote:That coincided with my stroke in early July. I was off the web until September-October and that was just about the time that DC got back on. At first I had thought that some of my memory had been wiped by the stroke and couldn;t remember how to get on, nut everything was and is fine.

And so may it always be, Amen.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:16 am

hi all sorry I have been scarce

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:26 am

radioastronomer wrote:hi all sorry I have been scarce

Lotta folks down here been holding our breath.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:28 am

Wacka wrote:That coincided with my stroke in early July. I was off the web until September-October and that was just about the time that DC got back on. At first I had thought that some of my memory had been wiped by the stroke and couldn;t remember how to get on, nut everything was and is fine.

Too scary! Take care of yourself.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:28 am

radioastronomer wrote:hi all sorry I have been scarce

Yay! =D>

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:53 pm

Still trying to get back on DC with my original ID ASA Vet.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Bob49428 wrote:Still trying to get back on DC with my original ID ASA Vet.

I'll sic Ichy on it.

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:23 am

Bob49428 wrote:Still trying to get back on DC with my original ID ASA Vet.

I've sent you emails, haven't seen any replies yet.

I'll need a description of the problem (i.e. why you're unable to use the "ASA Vet" sign-in), some way to verify that you're really the person who has previously posted as "ASA Vet", and an indication of how you'd like me to contact you regarding the resolution (for example if I need to send you the new password for the sign-in if that's what it needs).

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:41 pm

Still trying to get back on DC with my original ID ASA Vet.
I've sent you emails, haven't seen any replies yet.

I'll need a description of the problem (i.e. why you're unable to use the "ASA Vet" sign-in), some way to verify that you're really the person who has previously posted as "ASA Vet", and an indication of how you'd like me to contact you regarding the resolution (for example if I need to send you the new password for the sign-in if that's what it needs).[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did respond to your email via my Hotmail account which is bob49525 at Hotmail.com Apparently you didn't get it.

The problem is When I enter my user id then my password I get this: You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below.

Trying again and adding the CAPTCHA code I get the same message, but this time no field to put a CAPTCHA code.

Attempted to use the "forgot password" function. That want's the email with which I registered. That email was my old SBC account which SBC deleted years ago when I cancelled them as my ISP. I can't receive anything sent to it.

I am me, and always have been. How do I prove I am? If your records has my old ISP that is something I would know. Since it's obsolete I don't mind putting it out here in public. bob49525@sbcglobal.net As I said It no longer exists and any spam sent will just die in SBC's server.

Thank you,
ASA Vet

The problem is When I enter my user id then my password I get this: You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below.

Trying again and adding the CAPTCHA code I get the same message, but this time no field to put a CAPTCHA code.

Attempted to use the "forgot password" function. That want's the email with which I registered. That email was my old SBC account which SBC deleted years ago when I cancelled them as my ISP. I can't receive anything sent to it.

I am me, and always have been. How do I prove I am? If your records has my old ISP that is something I would know. Since it's obsolete I don't mind putting it out here in public. bob49525@sbcglobal.net As I said It no longer exists and any spam sent will just die in SBC's server.

Thank you,
ASA Vet

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:33 pm

Ok, I've reset the email on the ASA Vet login to be the one you attached to your Bob49525 login. (I also had to reset the Bob49525 email to be -- flip a coin -- "@gmail.com", because the forum software insists that each login not have the same email as any other login.)

That should allow you to go through the password reset procedure. Whether it works or not, post here and let me know.

Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:15 pm

Thank you kind sir. ASA Vet is back.